Tuesday, July 9, 2013

What I like about Europe...what I miss about home

This is a very incomplete list of things I really appreciate about Europe so far as I have experienced it over the past week:
    1. Europeans don't just destroy something when it needs to be replaced...they restore it instead.
    2. The majority of cars we have seen are small. Mind you, there are some very expensive ones, too, but we have yet to see a Hummer, large pick up truck or old Cadillac.
     3. Europeans, especially in Amsterdam, use bikes a lot, and I mean, A LOT! Amsterdam was overwhelmingly so, and as we left that flat land, we saw a lot less, but still more than in our suburban neighbourhood.
    4. The flowers are everywhere! Window boxes, yards, lane ways, etc are all decorated with flowers. In fact, it is so common, that to see a house without flowers is the oddity. I love this about Europe
    5. Cobblestone streets. I love how they look, I love how they are kept in good condition, and I love the sound car tires make on them.
     6. The food....chocolate, cheese, bread, potatoes...all things I should eat less of and all things that are so good.
     7. Church bells. I could get used to living in a town where the church bells are heard constantly.


What do I miss?
1. Face cloths! How do they wash their face without a cloth?
2. Ice water. When asked, a waiter brought ice water to the table: 2 little cubes in a glass of lukewarm water....the ice didn't last and it sure didn't cool down the water as cold as I like.
3. Recycling. I was very surprised by this lack. I have seen very few places to put paper, cans, glass, etc. When asked, they just tell us to throw it in the garbage.
4. My queen size bed, rather than two twins side by side. It has been too hot to snuggle, but still, two beds side by side just doesn't cut it.
5. Free public toilets. We feel like a basic human right has been taken from us when we have to pay anywhere between 50 cents and 2 € for the privilege of relieving ourselves.
5. Air conditioning. It was been very warm since we have arrived, but the only place we have air conditioned comfort is in the bus. Not a restaurant or hotel room has had it.
6. Smoke free environments. There seem to be more cigarette smokers here and they are allowed in all outdoor places, including restaurant patios, etc.

Now, I only have 1 week's experience in this fair continent and so can only consider these lists first  impressions. I will probably be able to add to both lists after another week, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment