Friday, July 5, 2013

Days 3 and 4 random thoughts

We've had two more very full days and as I sit here in my hotel bed and wish I could sleep, I'll write some more random thoughts.

Jet lag sucks! I was so tired today that every time we got into the bus to travel to the next place, I wanted to sleep. I did give in a few times, too, which is probably why I can't sleep now, even though its almost midnight.

There are some people who are very good at being hosts. We were fortunate to have two of them host us for the evening and night yesterday. The couple we stayed with were wonderful. They engaged us in conversation, they were proud to show us their gardens and farm and they left a light on in the hall overnight so I wouldn't trip going down the narrow, curved stairs to the bathroom at night. Oh, and the chocolate and freshly cut roses in the room helped, too! We talked about farming in Canada and in Holland, we talked about raising children, their granddaughter, faith, men's spirituality, education, and more. What a gift it has been for us to now say we have friends in Friesland!

There are so many bikes! This is especially true in Amsterdam. The bikes lined every street and seemed to rule the road. No one wears helmets and yet they darted in and out of traffic even while texting on their phones. While in Friesland, we met a couple who were spending 3 weeks of their summer biking throughout the country. They were from the US and surprise, surprise someone in our group from Illinois knew them. Small world!

It's amazing to think of the connection I have in faith to people, situations and places from long, long ago. How would my faith be different if people hadn't taken the stands they did way back then? Would I have had the courage to keep preaching if there was a price on my head? Or would I have let my husband keep on if he was the one under an arrest warrant for being against the government/church?

I have been using a cane to walk. My hip has consistently been degenerating lately and just before we left on this holiday I was so sore from a long walk that I could barely move. I think it's time to book surgery. The cane is helping a lot and I have very little pain. But I hate being an invalid and looking old. Guess that comes with being almost 50! Blech!

Okay, it's after midnight here and despite the party outside our window and in the adjoining room, I think I should try to sleep. Have a good one.




No comments:

Post a Comment