Monday, August 19, 2013

My year is done, so now what?

My year is done. I have been 50 for 3 weeks.

I had a great birthday. I celebrated with a dinner out with friends. My kids presented me with a beautiful mother's pride ring. The kids also gave me a list of 50 things they appreciate about me.  But on the actual birth DAY, my husband, youngest son and myself were on a holiday in the States. We explored sand dunes, waterfalls and headed to Yellowstone Park. It was a lot of fun.

Now that I am 50, I feel like I am officially in the second half of my life. I have already made one life altering decision. I am going to have hip surgery this year. I have a date to meet my surgeon next month. This scares me, but as I spent this summer in a fair amount of constant pain and usually used a cane to assist me with my walking, I knew it was time.

I will continue to work hard at being a good mother. It's been a struggle lately, as I cut apron strings for 3 of them, but still mother a preteen. Sometimes I feel like I am cutting the wrong child's string, but am hanging on tighter than ever to the older children. This is a fine balance I am trying to maneuver. Fortunately my children love me and have a good sense of humour and a high level of tolerance.

I am still trying to work on my diet to help with weight and general well being. Cutting out sugar was working well until we left on holidays. I am crawling back up onto the wagon. 

I work out regularly, refusing to let the subsequent pain deter me from what I know is good for me.

I will continue to be actively involved in my church, knowing that a community of faith is vital to spiritual well being of an individual.  We heard a good line in a song the other day about it being impossible to love God without loving The Church.

I can hardly wait to begin my new job as a Kindergarten teacher in a traditional model school. I don't know how I will deal with just K's or with the traditional model, but I'm up for the challenge.

I continue to love my husband from the bottom of my heart. He is my support, cheerleader, butt kicker and best friend. I pray that I can be that for him, too.

I will continue to live deliberately. I will take care of myself physically, spiritually and emotionally. I don't know how much I will write here. I had hoped that blogging would be for me. I live with a family of wordsmiths. Surely, my children got some of that from my latent ability, but alas, no. It must all stem from their father. I will write as the spirit moves, but not force myself to. As those of you who know me personally can attest to, I love to talk and will gladly talk face to face or on the phone with anyone.

So thanks for coming on this journey with me. I bid you adieu.

2 comments:

  1. How did your hip surgery turn out? I just passed my 59th birthday, so am looking the 60's in the eye. Not so long ago the 60's meant I was just a little girl and heading into my teens!!
    Shall we swap posts? Mine can be found at marilynfriesen.blogspot, and you can reshare anything that tickles your fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did your hip surgery turn out? I just passed my 59th birthday, so am looking the 60's in the eye. Not so long ago the 60's meant I was just a little girl and heading into my teens!!
    Shall we swap posts? Mine can be found at marilynfriesen.blogspot, and you can reshare anything that tickles your fancy.

    ReplyDelete