Friday, September 14, 2012

Living Deliberately on days off

This has been the first full week back into routines for all of us. On one hand it feels good to be back into a rhythm, but on the other, I'm not sure what this rhythm really is. I'm not used to working part-time, but as that is the only job I got this year, I am thankful. There are many teachers who are completely unemployed this year, so I've got it good.

I used to be a stay-at-home mom, and for many, many years I worked on-call, so I'm not sure why this switch back into part-time work is feeling difficult for me. I have only worked full-time for the past 2 years, but I loved it and now I'm feeling a bit adrift.

So, I need to think about being very deliberate with the days I am not at work. I used to be able to fill my days easily with baking, cleaning, and reading. Will I find value in those again? Now that I've learned how to survive without having a perfectly clean house, I'm not sure I can motivate myself to do it that way again. I did have momentary joy this week with doing some canning and I baked cookies, cleaned up, and read. Gareth brought his class over one day for lunch, and so I busied myself in getting ready for that, but that's a once a semester thing. I now need to think about what I want to accomplish these days at home.

Some ideas I have include calling my great aunt once a week. She's lonely and would appreciate a call or a visit. I will definitely work out both days. I do need to do some house cleaning jobs that have been neglected for two years (ie cleaning out closets, etc). I have started some massage therapy in the hopes that I can push back my hip replacement surgery a few more years. I'd also like to be more deliberate about making meals on the days I'm home. When you work full time, it is impossible to have meals that take time to prepare and now I should be able to do that.  Okay...maybe it won't be that hard to fill up the days. :) And maybe I should deliberately blog on one of the days I'm home.

And now on to the weekend: soccer, working out, cleaning house, Skype date with my daughter and a date with my hubby tomorrow; church and relaxing on Sunday. Monday will be my first attempt at living deliberately on a day "off." Let's see how I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment