Monday, July 30, 2012

A day for relationships

I survived the birthday, but now have a headache. I think it's from chocolate overkill. My new lovely daughter-in-law has figured out the quickest way to my heart---buy me chocolate! We enjoyed them all afternoon! (How I wish my students would figure it out and give me chocolates instead of a variety of other non-consumables...)

It was a great day because it was all spent with family! My 20 year old (Adriel) made an effort to get up to go to church with us in the morning. He usually has to work on Sunday mornings, but whether he asked for the morning off just to please his mom or his schedule just worked that way, it was special to me. (He did have to work the rest of the day.) Then my oldest (Joel) with his new bride (Breanne) came over for lunch, and despite having other plans for the rest of the day, they instead hung out with us into the evening. How special to be able to sit around the table and discuss serious topics and also laugh with them. It was fun looking at their wedding photos. What a beautiful reminder of a very special day just a few weeks ago. Our youngest (Micah) hung out with us all day and didn't even ask once to call a friend to play. That, if you know him, is quite unusual as he is our very social child. We even got to sit and watch a movie with him in the evening. Our dear daughter (Sarina) skyped us from Manitoba where she is working at a remote children's camp for the summer. I sure miss her! (It's only 22 days until I get to see her again.)

So, yesterday was a day devoted to family relationships. I am so very thankful that I can have good relationships with all my children. What a gift!

I am also so very thankful to have a fabulous husband (Gareth). He is so good to me, for me and with me! We had a mini-honeymoon this past week and as we talked, biked, read, and just were together for those few days, I realize what a gift I have in my relationship with him. We have come a long way in the last 27 years and I look forward to at least another 27 with him. My parents just celebrated their 65th...so I'm aiming for that!

I also received about 50 faceboook birthday messages. It makes a person feel good to have so many people recognize you, even if it only took them 5 seconds. A few e-mails came my way, too, some with e-cards. All took some time and I appreciate every one of them.

I received some very special phone calls. My mother and my mother-in-law are both very special people and I am so very thankful for them.

Wow...this is starting off very positive. May the rest of my year of being 49 be as good!

No comments:

Post a Comment